Sunday 18 January 2009

I was so naive and under exposed back then that I didn’t know that there’s beetroot. Why should I know it? First, I don’t cook. Second, I am not adventurous when it comes to food. I am very picky.

So when I first met beetroot, I instantly gave it a thumbs down. But, I can’t remember when I became a convert. Now, I love it in my salad, sandwich or even just on its own.

I think, it’s not bad to eat a lot of beetroot. I was told that somebody used to open a can for breakfast.

But here are some facts on beet:

Fresh beetroot
Beetroot can be eaten raw. You just need to peel it and it's ready to use. Beetroot can add a refreshing touch to a salad, a sandwich (try it with cheese!) or as an accompaniment to other vegies...

Try:

grating it finely to add to other vegetables
mix grated beetroot with raspberry vinegar
mix grated beetroot, grated orange rind and orange juice
plain grated beetroot is great on hamburgers


Cooked beetroot

Usually when you buy fresh beetroot it will still have the leaves and stalks attached. To cook the beetroot simply cut off the stalks but make sure you leave some of the stalk in tact. By doing this it will help to stop the beetroot from losing it's color when you cook it and helps to hold in the nutrients.

Beetroot can be steamed or cooked in boiling water. Cooking time can be from 20 to 50 minutes depending on the size of the beetroot. Test the beetroot with a skewer: when it's soft, remove it from the heat and cool it under running water - this will make the skin easier to remove for serving.

You can serve cooked beetroot:
as a hot vegetable accompaniment to a meal; or
allow it to cool and slice it to put on a homemade burger.
Cut into cubes and stir-fry it with some steamed cubed potatoes and pumpkin. Add a little garlic and some diced onions – this makes a delicious vegetable dish to serve with the rest of your meal.

Mcj and I love it pickled. I haven't read any article saying the side effects of eating much of it but with its benefits, diet pills will not be in your vocabulary if you love eating it.

0 comments:

Blurb

Life in a home with gluten-free diet, preventing Diabetes 2 and trying to be lactose-free. And a little bit fussy child. It sounds difficult and complicated but not really. It's been roughly ten years on - we have a lot of practice.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

BTemplates.com

Popular Posts

Blog Archive