Monday 25 July 2011

I felt the onset Friday morning. My right nostril was clogged with a mild headache. I took paracetamol - the symptoms were manageable. I was alright - just a bit tired. We dropped by the chemist on the way to the supermarket to pick-up cold and flu medicine. I bought the generic one as I was told they are the same as that of the branded. It doesn't matter. But it's the third day now, and I don't feel any better. Last night, Mcj told me that the medication I bought is milder compared to that of the branded stuff. So today, I am taking the branded ones. Hopefully, I'll get better to go to work tomorrow.

But I wonder, what do I really feel. Cold or flu. I have been using them interchangeably without really knowing what is what. Thanks to about.com, I'm about to find out.


What is the difference between the cold and flu?

The common cold and the flu are both respiratory illnesses with similar symptoms. So how can you differentiate between the two?

The main difference between the common cold and the flu (influenza) is the severity of the symptoms.

Flu symptoms generally:
Come on quickly and severely.
Include fever, which tend to be higher and last longer (3 to 4 days) than the occasional low-grade fever that may accompany a cold.
Include body aches and severe tiredness or fatigue.

Common cold symptoms:

Gradually get worse over a few days.
Are more likely to include runny or stuffy nose than the flu.
Often include a sore throat, while flu rarely does.
May cause tiredness, but it is much less severe than the exhaustion that comes with the flu.
Do not usually result in serious health problems and hospitalizations.


Now, I know that I have common cold as although I don't wish anyone to have what I got (that's why no trip to the commercial playground equipment), it's not that severe. I reckon, plenty of rest and food with medication will do me good.
*****

0 comments:

Blurb

Life in a home with gluten-free diet, preventing Diabetes 2 and trying to be lactose-free. And a little bit fussy child. It sounds difficult and complicated but not really. It's been roughly ten years on - we have a lot of practice.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

BTemplates.com

Popular Posts

Blog Archive