Sunday 19 April 2009

Our water in Queensland was fluoridated very recently. The state government aims to reduce the tooth decay especially on kids though some claims it is poisonous. Yes, fluoride can be hazardous when taken up to some quantity. Many are opposed to it even my mother in law. Me, I don’t know which stand to take. I don’t like poison (who does?) but I also want healthy strong teeth for my family.

My action means I just go with the flow. I didn’t take precautions to buy reverse osmosis to treat our drinking water. I brushed my teeth, so I have fluoride everyday. It wouldn’t hurt me to have a little bit more, I guess.

My mother is trying rain water but I wonder how safe it is. Obviously it is not safe drinking it straight from the catchment as there are airborne chemicals and pollutants. Rain is from the evaporated water from the ground which could be from anywhere and when the clouds get heavy it precipitates. Rain water should be filtered to make it safe for drinking.

If you’re interested on how to reduce the pollution to your rain water, here are some tips:
Roof catchments should be kept clean and clear of leaves. Overhanging branches of trees and shrubs should be removed.

Cover the inlet and turn the down pipe to one side so the water from the first good rain rinses down the roof (especially if newly clad) and gutters then runs to waste.

The inlet and overflow of the tank should be screened with a mesh to prevent birds, animals and insects from gaining access to the water.

A well maintained leaf trap will reduce the amount of organic matter that enters the rainwater tank through the inlet.

The tank should be covered to prevent light from reaching the water as it will encourage the growth of bacteria. The cover should have a tightly sealed manhole, to allow access to the tank for cleaning and inspection purposes.

Source: http://www.eastfremantle.wa.gov.au/uploaded/pdf/rain.pdf

I’ve been thinking to look for a reverse osmosis in ebay but for now, I’ll still drink fluoridated water and look forward to Argentina travel (in my dreams).

0 comments:

Blurb

Life in a home with gluten-free diet, preventing Diabetes 2 and trying to be lactose-free. And a little bit fussy child. It sounds difficult and complicated but not really. It's been roughly ten years on - we have a lot of practice.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

BTemplates.com

Popular Posts

Blog Archive