Sunday 20 February 2011

The facts everyone needs to know.

If the thought of becoming an organ donor has crossed your mind, or you are a registered donor but haven’t told your family, now is the time to take action.

The inaugural DonateLife Week kicks off today (February 20 – 27), a campaign led by Australian Government’s Organ and Tissue Authority to raise awareness and increase organ and tissue rates around the country.

Last year Australia recorded 13.8 donors per million people – the highest in the country’s donation and transplant history. But registering to become an organ and tissue donor doesn’t stop there. Here’s what you need to know.
How do I become a donor?

The Australian Organ Donor Register is where you can officially register your donation decision. To join, click here. Yet you do not have to register to become an organ donor. Ultimately your family will need to give permission for the donation to proceed so it’s important to inform them of your wishes.
What happens next?

You need to tell your family of your decision. Last year there were only 309 deceased organ donors, meeting less than half of the overall need for transplants. Forty per cent of families do not give consent for donation to take place because they did not know the wishes of their loved one. Making your decision known will lead to increased family consent rates and therefore save or improve more lives.
Who will I help?

Around 1,700 people are officially waiting for transplants including kidneys, hearts, lungs, skin tissue and corneas at any one time. One donor could help save the lives of up to ten people and significantly improve the lives of dozens more. Those touched by organ and tissue donation have shared their life-changing stories in the DonateLife Book of Life. Read their stories here.
If you think you’re too old to be a donor, don’t

Anyone can donate organs and tissue. People in their eighties have saved the lives of much younger people. Transplant professionals decide which organs and tissues can be used at the time of death after looking at your past medical history, the condition of your organs and their suitability
What is the donor success rate?

Australia has one of the highest reputations for successful transplant outcomes. Since 1965, more than 30,000 life-saving or life-improving organ and tissue transplants were performed in Australia. Despite this world-class success rate, our country has one of the lowest donation rates in the developed world.


from bodyandsoul.com.au
I have wanted to be an organ donor. I have discussed it with my husband but I haven't signed the form yet as I want to discuss it with my family in the Philippines that when I die, my body won't be transported there. I always believe that when we die we are everywhere so they can communicate with me however they please. :) I learned recently that I can donate skin tissues (no tattoo removal then as I dont have any tats). I thought that maybe, other people might benefit from my physical body.
*****

0 comments:

Blurb

Life in a home with gluten-free diet, preventing Diabetes 2 and trying to be lactose-free. And a little bit fussy child. It sounds difficult and complicated but not really. It's been roughly ten years on - we have a lot of practice.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

BTemplates.com

Popular Posts

Blog Archive